Fraud CenterWhat is malware?
What is Malware? Malware is short for "malicious software" - any software designed to damage or destroy a computer, server or network, such as spyware or a virus. What is a virus?
A computer virus is a small software program designed to spread from one computer to another. It can interfere with your computer's operation by corrupting or deleting information or using your e-mail to spread itself and infect other computers. Viruses can be disguised as attachments to e-mail messages or other downloadable files, software and programs. Signs your computer might be affected by a virus:
- It runs more slowly than normal
- It stops responding or locks up often
- It crashes and restarts every few minutes
- It restarts on its own and then fails to run normally
- Applications don't work correctly
- Disks or disk drives are inaccessible
- You can't print normally
- Unusual error messages
- Distorted menus and dialog boxes